Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Hawaii

Cody and I recently received the news that he has been accepted to pharmacy school at the University of Hawaii in Hilo.
We are so excited and feel so blessed with this new adventure, but still can't believe the change that is about to come into our lives. He begins his PharmD program August 13th, so that gives us two and a half months to pack up, find a new job, find a new place to live, find replacements at our old jobs, say goodbye to our family, friends and pets (sniff, sniff) and save as much money as possible . I am very scared and overwhelmed, but know this is the right thing for us. I googled an image of Hilo Hawaii, and this is the photo that came up....hopefully this will be right in our backyard---yeah right. One thing I know for sure is you all now have a free place to stay in Hawaii.
If anyone has any idea how to move to Hawaii, (shipping stuff etc) please let me know. I'm not really sure where to begin.

24 comments:

Paige said...

Lori..I'm so excited for you. I'm glad he was excepted considering the comment Lindsey made when we hung out. You are the luckiest duck on the planet to get to go to Hawaii..How long is the program? Maybe Lins and Ben will be stationed there. And then I will move there too. Wishful thinking i'm sure..

Lacey Jane said...

Wh-what? I had no idea! Congratulations! I am thrilled for you both!

tylah said...

I can't think of a better place to go to school. I am so jealous. It makes me regret staying at the U for school. The only bad thing I can possibly think of (besides having you guys leave of course) is that cockroaches live there! I would get a gun if I were you.

Danielle said...

Lori, it's Danielle again. I peek at your blog every now and then and saw that you are moving to the Big Island! Congrats! We lived on Oahu for 4 years and it was amazing.

You might want to check out Matson.com They are one of the biggest overseas shipping companies. We used them in honolulu (not sure for the Big Island, but I bet they would have a port). Matson has several ports out of California so the hardest part is getting your stuff from Utah to LA, and then off to Hawaii.

If I had to do it all over again, I would sell most of my things and then buy new stuff when I got over there. And then in return, selling it off when I was done before coming back home. Most cars are clunkers because of the salty air. They rust fast and fall apart easily. It's horrible to see a newer car get ruined. So maybe buying an "island car" would be less maintenance and hassle.

As for furniture, I know termites are an issue, not to mention the heat and humidity. Not very climate-controlled. So maybe leave some of your nicer stuff behind and then you won't have to risk it?

Either way, what an opportunity! You lived in Laie (BYU-Hawaii) for a little bit didn't you? It's a whole different world over there. Everything is very low-maitenance and relaxed. How exciting!!! Good luck to you two!

P.S. The picture you have posted is exactly what our backyard looked like. I bet your's will too!!!

Kristin said...

How exciting!!! I'm not sure if you know that I lived there for a couple of years, but I learned a ton about packing, what to take, what not to take, what you need over there and what you don't...I would love to help you out in anyway possible. I miss living over there sooo much. You will completely have the best time ever. At this point, I'm jealousy happy :)

derrickfam said...

Holy cow Lors! Congratulations! What a fun adventure for you two! How long is the program? You guys will fit in fantastic over there...you both look Hawaiian, that's for sure. Maybe we'll be more tempted to take the job offer Rocky got in Maui now...we'll only be a few islands away from each other. hee hee. i can't wait to talk to you about all this! Best of luck!

the youngs said...

Whoa, Blossom! I didn't even know you'd applied there. You are going to have so much fun and be so dang tan! Wear sunscreen! Congrats to Cody!

Lindsey said...

Lors, I am so excited for you!!! And you know I'm coming to visit - just like last time you lived in Hawaii. hh. I was mixed up and thinking it was in Honolulu - that's what I told Ben, and when I told him it was really Hilo he thought it was about 10x cooler - the big island is THEBOMB.COM/SO AWESOME. We've been there a few times to Kona - the big island is so diverse and totally cool.
So, now when you guys have a baby you'll have to name him/her an island name like "keiko palapapoi". I can totally see you guys doing that..hhhh.
PS: What the heck C? A job offer in Maui?

ali said...

Yesssss. Best news I've had in a looong time. Must have been that essay that did it! JK. Cody's charm and good looks and humongo brain were definitely to credit. And his amazing wife.

Congratulations! Am so excited. (To come see you. Seriously.)

allison said...

Oh my-- Congrats! That is very exciting news! Lucky you two...what an adventure that will be. The Holiday Villa will miss you both. really. No one can replace your home baked cookies. I will miss you guys!

jamieanne said...

Wa-wa-wa-whaaat?!? This is fantabulous news indeed! I la-la-la-love the big island. I made friends with a turtle there that I named Stubbs. We would lay out on the beach together every day. And the active volcano is about the most amazing thing ever.

I'm totally coming to visit you (and Stubbs).

GIGANTO Congratulations to Cody. This is awesome. Hip hip hurrah!

Kim said...

For you :), for us :( we'll miss you guys immensley! Can't wait to come visit though and we're so proud of Cody!

sarah marie. said...

i'm SOOO excited for you guys. good job cody. getting into school and keeping your wife warm on the beach. we have a lot to talk about. ily both.

Lorilee said...

Thank you everyone. Your support and excitement mean more than you know. All of you are what is going to make it so hard to leave for 4 years..(yes, the PharmD programs is 4 years and Cody will graduate with a PhD in pharmacy).

Holly and Dave said...

hats off to you both! this will be such an exciting adventure and dave and i can't wait to come visit. thinking about it brings tears to my eyes, but i'm so happy for you and this great opportunity! out of everyone i know, i think you two would be the most adept at living in hawaii- it's a perfect fit.

Morgan said...

Lori that is so exciting...congratulations! Leaving SLC for a PhD is the bomb.com.

Morgan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenni said...

Lori- Congrats! Living away from family is such a great thing. Tyler and I grew so much in the 5 years we were away. When we moved back we had a harder time than when we left. Anyway Great News!

becky said...

congrats to you on your new adventure! you will have such a fun time!

Anonymous said...

Cory and Lodi: congrats, I am already looking at my calender to plan the va-kay. we have some really nice family there, they might be useful in helping to find a place to stay/live.
p.s. "THEBOMB.COM/SOAWESOME" have you ever heard anything so lindsey? here are some pics from the big island. www.zackandkim.com

Amy said...

how exciting!!!

i cant think of a better place to live...

congrats!

ali said...

Now I'm starting to get sad.

sarah marie. said...

sheesh..23 comments!

Anonymous said...

24