Monday, October 13, 2008

24 Hours of Moab

Talk about a serious bike race. 24 Hours of Moab is known as the "grandaddy of mountain biking endurances races." Starting at noon on the 11th and ending at noon on the 12th, bikers stop only for bathroom breaks and to gobble down a few high calorie--easy to digest foods that will help them get through each 15 mile lap. These laps cover a very difficult terrain which include red rock, sandstone, and many treacherous descents. Most people compete in this race in teams or groups each taking his or her own leg of the race. But not my brother-in-law Chad. Chad competed in the solo division and finished a complete 12 laps. He was the TOP Utah finisher and took 18th overall..... not bad considering 70 cyclists participated in the solo division and over 2000 cyclists competed overall.
 
Chad has competed in many ultra-marathons (50, 75, 100 miles races that can last up to 24 hours of non-stop running) and a number of other bike races---not to mention all his own "recreational" endurance training he participates in. It's so amazing to see him complete these goals he has set for himself, and finish these unbelievably difficult events. I think it's crazy and sounds like torture....
And to top it all off, he is great husband to my sister Marcie and the best Dad to his 4 little kiddies who I love so much. Good Job on the race Chad.... you're a great example to us all.

You can read more about Chad the race here.

10 comments:

The Powells said...

that makes me so tired just reading about this!!!

ali said...

Wowee. He Superman! I can't even imagine....

... said...

Good for him, I know how hard those can be. Ben and I rode in a 2 day race in Houston and let me tell you it was the hardest thing I had ever done in my life. Sounds like he did much better then I did:) (hey Wed, you me and Linds should get together and watch a movie or the finally of p.runway...)

Janelle said...

That is insane Lori. I remember you telling me he would run and run and run like all through the night in races.. but honestly, how do you make your body stay awake that long and keep moving? I am amazed at what Bren does too with his racing, but my goodnes, 24 hours???? This is insane. Way to go for Chad. and way to go to Marcie for letting him train.

Lindsay said...

i truly cannot comprehend how people do things like this. and not just do it but be a top finisher! that is amazing. congrats to your bro in law.
btw i'm planning on wed, i hope to see you and cute little june!

Liz said...

Holy cow! I just ran a marathon on the 4th and it was THE hardest thing I've ever done. I think that is so cool!

... said...

ok, this has nothing to do with the post, but you rarely check your email. I was confusing hummus with baklava (I just figured out why I kept thinking it was supposed to be a dessert-hahah:) I've been on the island too long!

Paige said...

Wowzers...He is amazing. I also think this is crazy and sounds like torture. But then again I don't want to break a sweat...

Aimee said...

that's impressive!

Holly and Dave said...

props to chad! if anyone could do something like this, it's chad. and marcie is the most supportive wife out there!