I turned 30.
For a while I thought about trying to hide it or just kind of pretending like it didn't happen. I was afraid that those who read my blog would be thinking to themselves "who is this old girl who acts (and talks) like she's 23?" I was afraid that since people knew I was 30 I would have to stop starting all my sentences with "dude, so...". I was afraid that others would start looking for wrinkles on me in my photos. I was afraid that other people might think, "sheesh, she's 30 and her husband's still in school?" or "she's 30 and she only has ONE little baby?"(gasp).
But I'm not afraid anymore, in fact I've had a complete change of heart and can honestly say that I'm excited to be 30.
When I look back at my 20's I've realized how many important and exciting things have taken place and will forever change me and my life. Number one being, marrying Cody. This was the best decision I've ever made and feel like the luckiest person to have him forever. And number two is giving birth to my perfect little baby girl June. Oh, I love her so much.
I met a few of my life long very best friends in my 20's. We had so much fun together and made so many totally sweet memories. I can't imagine my life without you guys and have seen that even though we all live in different places we can still stay a part of each others lives.
In my 20's I was able to grow a greater appreciation for my parents and realize, even more, everything they do and have done for me. I went from being bratty and always trying to stir up an argument with them, to really listening to their advice and loving the time we spend together. My relationship with my siblings has changed from a 'brother-sister' or 'sister-sister' connection to a 'best-friend-favorite-people-to-be-around' relationship. They are those I go to for everything and anything and those I look up to the most. I couldn't have asked for anything better.
The 20's allowed me to: graduate from college, travel to different cities, states, countries, and continents, grow my hair down to my waist (yikes), move to Hawaii, learn to ski better, stay in touch with a few bff's from high school, get a new last name and inherit a new family (the Walkers) whom I love, learn to bake, forget how to play the piano, start a blog, have the same best dog in the whole world and say goodbye to the best cat in the whole world, learn to love to read, play with four new nephews and three new nieces (with a couple--or so--on the way), spend lots of money on clothes I never wear, and grew an even stronger testimony.
I'm happy to be 30. I'm excited for a whole new decade to start so many great things. I can't wait to meet the rest of my little babies and am anxious to see where Cody and I are going to live. So out with the old and in with the new. Hello 30's goodbye 20's.


20 comments:
Girl!..I'm 30 too, and my husband is still in school as well...and I don't have any kids, so I totally know how you feel!!!:)
Dude...Welcome to the club! :) So far so good. I guess there is no turning back. I know you will love the 30's just as much, cuz that's just how you are. HBBD! (belated is the second B).
I'm glad I'm not the only person (girl/lady?) that starts sentences with "dude" and uses the phrase "totally sweet" on a regular basis. And I don't even live in Hawaii...
I loved reading this post. What a great tribute to the last ten years! I'm happy I've known you for even longer than that. We were fast friends in what ... '95?
p.s. Dude, they say 40 is the new 30, too. So that gives us something to look forward to. Happy Birthday to you!
xo.
this is one of my favorite posts. you've just about moved me to tears, and I'm now excited to turn 30 (in a short 5 years). I also feel so blessed to be a part of your 30 years. i don't know what i'd do without your friendship, advice, wisdom, and humor. you're my favorite 30 year old out there!
Gee, now I can't wait to turn 30, since I'm not oo far off now. I love your attitude and perspective. Two of the many things that make you someone I have looked up to and admired since the day I met you! Love you, and Happy 30!!
I love this - and I love you. You are the best and make me excited for my big 30 too. My 30s will hopefully be filled with babies too and I love that.
PS: You look RAVISHING in that photo - you are the most photogenic person in the uni.
PPS: I can't wait til I'm 30 so when some dumb person asks me "How old ARE you?" (Like I'm a teenager with a baby) I can say "30 you IDIOT!"
You're so cute Lori, Happy 30th Birthday! I have been dreading the big 3-0 since my 25th birthday, just reading this made me think about all the great times I've had in my 20s too and my life seems like it's just getting started, thanks for changing my perspective.
and ditto to Lindsey's comment you really are the most photogenic person EVER. you look beautiful.
Happy Happy Happy Birthday...Don't worry I am not to far behind you, so thanks for making it not so scary!!! Your words always hit the spot with me. I learn so much from you and count you as one of my many blessing! I love ya!!
Happy Birthday Lori! Hope you had a great day. Heres to 30 more fun and exciting year.
lori you are the youngest 30 year old i know, and i mean that in the best way! :) i love this post, you said it so well. and that pic of you and cody is really really cute.
I'm with ya. I'm ready to ditch the 20s. Happy Birthday Lorilee.
Hi Lori,
I just saw that you had a blog. Happy Birthday! It looks like you're doing amazing.
haha, you crack me up. I know the dread of 30 but maybe for once people will stop asking me if I'm 20.. duhhh!! Those cup cakes look really good and now I want one:) Good job Cody.
True words Lor. People are always surprised that I'm 30. They think I'm in my early 20's because my two girls are so young And I act a little immature with my "yo, yo, yo", or "dude" or "whatup" or(well you know what I mean) I think we will always just be who we are. A number doesn't magically take away our vocabulary and personality. Take my mom, she was 60 when she was 20. That's just how it went,,,always mature and acting like a lady. Anyways, happy Birthday, and glad you accepted your new number.
what a sweet little post. good for you to look at the bright side. i think you look better than you did 10 years ago, i think you smile bigger than you did 10 years ago,i think you're more in love than 10 years ago, and with that, hello 30's. they will be good to you i'm sure.
I hope I feel this way when I turn 30! I love your perspective. That is something I have always liked about you. You are pretty good at looking on the bright side of things:)
you should be a writer. i love you so much and am so glad we met in our 20's and will be friends throughout the eternities.
I read this post the day you posted it and didn't comment because I thought it was so well put that there was no comment that could ever do it justice. You're wonderful- and really there's nothing left to say.
But I thought I should still wish you a happy birthday! I hope you had a fabulous day.
Happy Birthday Lori! This is Sara Martinsen....remember me? :) I don't even know how I found your blog, but I love it! June is beautiful! You look gorgeous as always! I just wanted to say hi! I don't have a blog but my email is saratoro at yahoo. I would love to catch up!
Sara
You couldn't have said it better. I'm looking forward to the day I get to turn 30, thanks to you miss lori.
PS: I miss you.
Post a Comment