
Ris A La Mande (Rice Pudding), one of my favorite Christmas traditions! My sweet Grandma (on the left, next to my Mom in the middle) is Danish, and she makes this homeade rice pudding every Christmas Eve as one of her Danish traditions. Before we eat, she puts one huge white almond into the giant bowl and vigorously stirs it up so the almond gets lost in the big white madness. Once we have all scooped our bowls full and begin eating, we try to figure out who has the almond. It is always a mystery of which person is hiding it in their cheek or under their tongue. Once everyone is done... the winner usually comes clean, and recieves the prize, which is a marizpan pig---(and usually some money along with it). The pudding is so tasty that no matter who gets the almond, we all are happy with just enjoying the delicious, annual, Ris A La Mande.
6 comments:
Ha! We have the EXACT SAME tradition. But we aren't Danish ... we are muts who take on their Danish neighbors' (aka Valentiners) traditions. I love this one. Though not once has the almond made its way into my mouth. :(
Weird Ali... I didn't know you did that too! Do you love the pudding as much as I do? Looks like I am a little luckier than you (or you just don't take as big as portions as I do), I have recieved the almond, I think twice. And Cody is even luckier. His first year into the family and the first time he ate the pudding, he got the almond!
Oh, this made me so sad I had to leave early and miss out on the Christmas pudding and a chance at some sweet moolah this year! Love that stuff.
who got it this year?
my cousin, Brandon.
i hope they serve this pudding in heaven. but only on christmas eve, of course. i'm with lori on saying that i must take extra large portions, because i've won the almond about 3-4 times!
Post a Comment