The saying goes: if March comes in like a lion it goes out like a lamb and if March comes in like a lamb, it goes out like a lion. I love this weather proverb that most of us learned in elementary school. It symbolically turns our March weather pattern into a story and brings it to life.The phrase apparently has its origins with the constellations Leo, the Lion, and Aries, the ram or lamb. It has to do with the relative positions of these constellations in the sky at the beginning and end of the month and how they change. I learned about these constellations in an astronomy class I took in college, and was fascinated with the relation of star patterns and weather patterns.
March is one of my favorite months for a couple of reasons. First of all, my sweet Cody's Birthday is celebrated on the 17th and for some reason I love his Birthday more than he does. Second of all, I always feel like March is the beginning of change. I start creeping into my "spring/summer" closet, I can carry an umbrella instead of gloves, hat and scarf, and we start to get a little bit more sunlight each day.
So I thought it might be appropriate to explain why I've named my blog after this month and the proverb that comes along with it. I know it may sound stupid, but I have really loved being able to blog. I have been able to stay apart of my best friends lives that live so far away, and get to know my best friends that live here, even better. I have made new friends and been inspired by people I only know as a link. I have been able to see the talent in those close to me-- as they have expressed themselves, or have relayed stories of experiences they have gone through. But as you come to my blog every now and then, I hope that you have learned more about me, have been entertained through my silly posts, and, I dare say, inspired by some of my thoughts---so that you come out "changed", possibly into a lion-- more ferocious, brave, confident and proud.
And as for March, the 31st should be a beautiful day.


11 comments:
so lori... love the blog...love you...love cody.... miss him. Sometimes the blue writing hurts my eyes but I appreciate the time and effort spent on uplifting us all.
you're the cutest thing i know. i'm always inspired by you and am so glad you joined the blogging club. ily and can't wait to see you.
You are my favorite lion-ess, Lor. I love blogging too, as you know. But I love to read my friends' blogs the very best. Thanks for sharing so much of you, and all your wonderful ideas.
Will you show me the lion and the lamb in the sky?
I loved that post Lori, thanks for sharing!
Lori..I wish you had married into my family too. Maybe Cody wants to become my brother. Anyway...Thanks for getting Linds and Court to start blogs, now i'm obsessed. I check your blog daily and really do want to be you. Lets start our wedding planning business now!!!
ok, I'll move to California and we can get started.
Lori, nice post! It has been fun getting to know you.
and, I have thought about photographing our crazy neighbor more than once. we should kidnap her for a night and make her eat pumpkin bread and take pictures!
I just realized that my comment is really random, I hope you understand :)
Lors, I've never gotten emotional about blogging until...today. The hair on my arms is even standing up. No really...I was thinking about this the other day. I never get to see or talk to you very much and this blog has really brought our lives back together at last. I love it!!!(are you emotional yet?)
although i get to see you lots and talk to you even more, i love looking at your blog and finding out even more about you and your life. might as well maximize our communication capabilities! and thanks to you, i now have a blog of my own (a work in progress...)
Something to add to your love of March: this month has the biggest change in daylight hours than any other month. the last day of march has 1 1/2 more hours of daylight than the first day! let the sun MARCH on through!
Wow- I haven't heard this proverb since grade school... It's a perfect title for your blog!
I love that we're blogging buddies! I've definitely gotten to know you much better...
Keep it up!
I am just impressed that you remembered the details of the proverb history. I love March as well, and am so excited about the earlier daylight savings. Hooray for spring!!
Post a Comment