Tuesday, January 29, 2008

island exploring

Last weekend we did a little island exploring....it's funny how we feel more like tourists when we go on one of our "island drives." I'm sure we look more like visitors too, seeing how we are usually exploring very rural parts of the island with camera in hand. First stop was Puna. This is known as the Big Island's outlaw town....where hardcore hippies, dreadlock enthusiasts, FBI fugitives, weed loving characters, and the never-bathe crowd live.
This photo is taken from the easternmost part of the island. We read that since our winds come from that direction, scientists use it as "virgin air" that has drifted over the landless Pacific for many weeks. Air from here is considered as 'pristine' as any in the world, and it is analyzed by governments around the globe and used as a benchmark to compare to their air. So, we took a deep breath and got back in the car to finish our trip.


This is Ahalanui, which is a big lagoon where the ocean water is heated to about 90 degrees from the Volcano. Cody dipped his toes in, just to make sure it really was as warm as they say.

he is so cute

8 comments:

sarah marie. said...

that top picture reminds me of the one i took in ny of me in heidi's car with the huge poster of daniel craig for the james bond movie and cody commented..nice green sweatshirt or someone wants their green sweatshirt back

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

How fun to go exploring on the weekend. So jealous,mostly because we are freezin our butts off. :)

Janelle said...

You look so cute Miss Lori. It's crazy to know you are living in a tropical paradise when we are dying in a snow hell. Honestly, will it ever stop. How ya feelin'?

Kim said...

Looks like so much fun and so beautiful. Hmm you don't even have a little tummy yet?!

Holly and Dave said...

so is puna where all the characters in Lost are from? enjoy the scenery and the 90 degree ocean water for me! love the snapshots.

Lisa P. said...

Lori, I'm so jealous. Your pictures are gorgeous! Also I never told you congrats on being pregnant. Being a mom is the best! I now have a blog, so check it out. I added you as a link if thats cool. www.daysofourprice.blogspot.com

Jenny said...

Hi Lori
It's Jenny, Sarah's sister. I thought that you are pregnant! You are so tiny and cute and skinny!

ali said...

Such a fun glimpse into your life, Lor. There's nothing I love more than a roadtrip.