Monday, February 25, 2008

working girl

list of things I had to do before starting my new job:
1. wash my garmicci's
2. dust off my chaco's
3. braid my hair
4. not shave for two weeks prior
5. buy organic groceries, so I won't get the stink eye during the lunch break
6. practice my drums for drum circle
7. read all I can find on vitamins, herbal remedies, and food supplements
8. burn a cd filled with reggae music (just in case I have to drive a coworker home)
9. planted my own kind buds
10. tightly fastened 3 hemp necklaces around my neck

Cody and I have been cracking ourselves up over this list. Island Naturals is a neat little natural foods and deli store here in Hilo. I have really liked going in there since we moved here and would occasionally let myself buy something from the deli, but (like most natural foods stores) it's extremely overpriced.
I have wanted to get a part time job to have a little more to do, to meet new people, and to help the time go buy just a little be quicker. So here I am. The deli has really yummy food and the store is stocked with all the bulk food and organic groceries a hippies heart could desire. I get a discount on the food, so....who knows, maybe I'll start growing some dreads.
Nobody there knows I'm pregnant (who wants to hire a girl who is 6 months pregnant?) they all probably just think I'm one of those people with a really thick waist. Either way, they have the best chocolate milkshakes, just what the doctor (and baby) ordered.
a photo of our target customer:

14 comments:

sarah marie. said...

ROLLING

Kristin said...

That is the funniest list ever--I think there is just one more thing though that if you don't wear it they'll be able to sniff you out: Pachooli oil

Lindsey said...

yay!!!! way better than hdos. send me some of that maui wowee!!! (i hope i don't have to explain that) Have Court send you a copy of her Phish CD and maybe you could borrow her Gramiccis too so you don't have to buy them - they've got that adjustable waist so they'll be perfect for little prego you! xoxoxoiloveyourjob.com

Janelle said...

Are you seriously not popping out yet? I hope you take some pictures of yourself soon so we can see. Love the fact that you can't shave.......ewwwww.

The Powells said...

that list is to dang funny...i cant stop laughing!! have fun at your new job and lets see some pics of you..6months already and if your not showing that is just not fair!!

lpettey said...

That is so great you got a job. Good luck with everything. I can't believe your not showing that much. At least your not as sick as before. Btw loved the list of the new job.

jamieanne said...

You crack me up! And what the heck are garmicci's??? Along with like 7 other things on your list that I had no clue what they were.

Kim said...

that is hilarious! Congratulations on your new job! So if they don't know you are pregnant that means you don't even have a little belly yet?

Kim said...

ps. just stand in front of some burning incense before you go to work you'll smell so good you'll make new friends in a hurry. Oh and if you need any more advice I'm sure I can tap into my old self and find the answers, such as how to make your own dreads, and sewing patches on your overalls.
pps. along with not shaving your legs you don't have to wear a bra either.

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

Totally groovy! I would love to hang out their and just people watch! I love your list.

P.S. I love your Purple Peeping Tom with a chef's hat! Funny! :)

Paige said...

There is nothing I like less than the smell of incense and I'm pretty sure you are going to need to burn some of that too. I bet 4/20 is really popular at the Island Deli. High times, high times.

Jordan said...

That post totally made me laugh. I have checked your blog before (through Jenni) but not for a while. I didn't know you were pregnant. Congtulations!
-Melissa (Grider) Romans

blueeyedfreckle said...

Your lists are always so freaking hilarious. I hope that you and the baby don't get high accidentally, off the fumes on your co-workers and customers....:)

Holly and Dave said...

i love this list- i wish i could be a fly on the wall at your work. It's a wise decision to surround yourself with such healthy people while being pregnant, just in case those food pesticides can cross the placenta. are you now considering an all natural birth?