Monday, September 08, 2008

my new job

I have a new boss. Her name is June. I clocked in June 17th and haven't clocked out. In the beginning I felt so inadequate, wondering if I was doing everything the right way. Wondering if I was going to be successful and even doubting myself at times, questioning if I could really do this... only to be encouraged and reassured by my Mom and older sister Marcie who has recently been a mom (and a very good one, I might add) and knows some of the feelings I might have been experiencing.

It's hard to describe how I feel about this little girl and the new role of Motherhood. But it has changed my life so dramatically that it's hard not to write about it. My heart is so full of love that I can't express it enough. It's a different love, an immediate and unconditional love for someone you don't even know. It's the kind of love that comes with knowing this little being is going to change every single part of your life, like making every day-to-day chores 10 times as difficult as they were before, but you don't care. It's the kind of love that makes me worry, thinking it's too perfect that something bad is going to happen--- creating totally irrational thoughts like Aliens are going to come down in the middle of the night and nab my precious little one. (Haven't you seen Fire in the Sky?) I feel such a great sense of protection, that at times it reminds me of something you would see on Animal Planet --how protective Mother's are over their young, that they would risk their lives just so their babies won't get injured or hurt.
It's quite scary knowing the dependency this little person has on us. Knowing that she can not survive without someone to do everything for her. She relies on Cody and I for every need, and we have to be there.

In the morning when she first wakes up I hear her start to huff and puff over in her bassinet. I give her a few minutes, just to make sure that 6am really is the time that she wants to wake up (but I'm not complaining because she's usually been asleep since 8pm the previous night and hasn't made a peep until now). As soon as I look into her face and she makes eye contact with me, she flashes her big gummy smile and usually lets out a squeal. I smile just as big back into her face and my heart grows even more full. Then I get to unwrap her which feels like unwrapping my presents on Christmas morning. Her arms fling up for a stretch and the smiles continue. Although it's not always like this the entire day, she has her bouts of sad and angry times, but she still makes me happier than I could ever imagine. I am so entertained by watching her little fingers and toes, and putting my own finger into her tiny little grip for her to hold ever so tightly. When her head is resting on my shoulder I can't get enough of all her little smells. Her hair, her neck, her ears, her face.... all have different scents and they are all my favorite. I smother her with kisses, and wonder how she feels about it.

I have a new respect for my own Mother, and am starting to understand the love she has for me. I have discovered there is nothing that shows unselfishness better than this new job of mine. "What, I'm wearing the same sweatpants for the 5th day in a row?" or "I'll eat, once she settles down"---are common occurances in our house now. It is so good to have something so meaningful in our lives. Having June has enhanced the way I live in every way.

So yes, I love my new job better than any job I've ever had (sorry Dad). I love my new role as a Mother and feel so excited that Cody and I get to share the excitement of watching this new little person, the most important thing in our lives, grow every single day.

16 comments:

sarah marie. said...

sweetest post ever lor..ily

The Powells said...

you brought tears to my eyes...it really is the BEST job ever! isnt it amazing that every step they take in the day we are right by their side helping them. its amazing to watch these little people take in this big world. you are the cuttest mom and she is a beautiful little girl.

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

I love that bottom picture of you two, so cute!

It is such an indescribable feeling, but you just did a great job at describing it. It really is the best job we will every have.

Kim said...

This is the cutest post ever, anyone mom-to-be should read this it will get them so excited. You are so cute Lori I'm sure you are the best mom and I can't get enough of her smile!

Aimee said...

LOVE this post. I'm so happy for you. Don't worry, there's not a feeling you could have that hasn't been experienced by any other mother. You're a natural at this. (I mean you've been mothering me for years)!

Sarah said...

I love this post Lori, it makes me so excited for our little one to come. You are such a good Mom to little June, and I am sure she loves getting all those kisses and feeling how much you love her!

Lindsay said...

lori you explained what being a mom is like beautifully. you are doing such a good job with little june and i love hearing about your experiences. makes me excited to be a mom one day!

Jeff Sorensen said...

Lori - June is getting so fat! She is so cute. What's so funny is I swear I remember trying to tell you a hundred times how much your life was going to change, but it never kicked in until it happened to you. I love the milk mustaches too.

steph said...

you are the bestest mommy

Janelle said...

You really said it right Lori. The first baby especially brings all of these new emotions to the table that you've never felt..and it's so true... now you know how much your parents love you. What you feel for June is exactly what they felt for all 5 of you guys... I'm glad you are so happy.

... said...

Girl, I'm gonna have to stop reading your posts because you've got me in tears. Its pretty hard to do that while Annie is blaring in the background:) You are doing a great job, before you know it she will be 1 and you will feel like life is going way too fast and you will start to forget those 1st sweet moments with your baby. Enjoy it all.

Holly and Dave said...

i have tears running down my face, thinking of what wonderful parents you and cody are and what a luckly little girl june is. i think of you 3 daily, and wish i could be there to smother her with my kisses too. i love you all.

Cindi said...

I found your blog from Janelle's and just had to comment on this post. So touching to feel the true love and emotion you have. The JOB of being a MOM is the best ever. Congrats, June is beautiful. Hope all is well with you! - This is Cindi (Vlam) Green

blueeyedfreckle said...

I love this. You have got to be the cutest new mom ever. I sincerely wish I could be there and see you with little June. Reading this post makes me look forward to motherhood:)

ali said...

This is maybe the most adorable post ever. I love it cuz it's from the heart.

Anonymous said...

Lori, It's Melanie, from your old Anthro days. I found your blog via Jenny's blog. Your little June is so precious! It's funny, since I just had my first, a baby girl on May 1st and we are on a student budget as well. Well, I'm so glad that you seem to happy. I bet you are the best mother ever.