Thursday, August 26, 2010

my sweet doggie

For those of you who know me well, you know how much I love this little creature. Before I had my babies, she was my baby. I gave her baths, cut her hair and nails, brushed her teeth, took endless photos of her, and cuddled her in my bed when she was scared of lightning or fireworks.

Times changed, I got different babies, and she grew up to be a grandma doggie. Although her blond fur disguised her gray hairs, she began to limp, loose teeth, not hear anyone or anything, and could barely see. But with the help of some doggie advil, my mom's freshly cooked chicken breast or grilled hamburger patties, and trips to the doggie dentist she made it to be 16 years old.. 112 in dog years.

The decision was ultimately my Mom, Dad and I's. We would stay up late, sitting in the laundry room with tears in our eyes, talking about what we should do with Brittany. Lately we could see a sadness in her eyes and face that was not going away. She didn't want to go outside (except for the occasional trip to the mailbox with my Dad), she would sleep all day and all night, and she was starting to loose control of her #1's and #2's.

But she never left our side. Struggling to make it up and down the stairs she followed my Mom everywhere. Recently she tried to come on a walk with Cody and I, but half way through she was dragging her little doggie legs so badly that Cody had to carry her the rest of the way home. It broke my heart.

The sadness in her face got to us and with heavy hearts we had her put to sleep today. It was sad, very sad.
She was such a good doggie.

I'm sure my Grandpa Jo. is playing ball with her in heaven.


14 comments:

the youngs said...

Oh, Lors. You are right. Anyone who knows you absolutely knows how much you adored that sweet doggie. She is definitely smiling down on you from puppy heaven.

Melanie said...

Oh, Lori. That is one of the hardest things to do. We had the same experience with our dog a little over two years ago. It was way harder than I thought it would be. What a cutie. Hugs from here.

Lindsay said...

i'm so sorry, lori. that is so hard. same thing happened with our dog years ago and it was so sad. i'm sure she's running around in heaven, missing you, but happy to be pain free.

Lisa P. said...

oh my gosh, i'm all teary eyed. I havent seen brittany in years. but I know she was such a big part of your family:)...so sorry:(

The Powells said...

im so sorry lori...i remember you always talking about brittany and how much you loved her. she was so luck to have you take care of her for so so so many years!!

Holly and Dave said...

all morning i've been trying to focus on all our good memories of her. "be be so chicken" "you like dese shoes?" "wanna go for a ride in da car?" She is such a good doggie and I know she's playing ball all day in heaven.

Sarah said...

We miss her and are sad we couldn't be there to see her last days. We thought about her all day yesterday and cried at all the pictures. I know how much she meant to you and Tyler and all the family, such a sad day.

sarah marie. said...

oh lootsee. i'm so sorry lori and all of the sorensen's. the precious was one of the first doggies i really loved. be be so chicken?

Carol said...

Lori, Thanks for this I needed a good cry! We are facing this soon also and I am dreading it! What a great way to go out after the fabulous life you and your family provided her :)

Love ya,
Carol

Paige said...

Oh Lors I've been there. Me, Linds Jace and my dad sat in his office for ever and cried our eyes out. There is nothing sadder than seeing them suffer and no longer themselves. I feel for you sister. It still makes me sad to think about it.

tylah said...

I loved little Lucy. I can't wait to see her again and say "soo like deez shoes?" and watch her go crazy like she always would. And remember when the fur on the top of her head would get long and I would slick it back with water and a little hair gel? That's probably the look she has going now in heaven. :)

... said...

Lori, that is so sad! I had to give my little doggie to my parents when we moved to HI and I was exactly like you, so I am feeling so bad for you. But at least she isn't in pain anymore.
-Miss ya-
ps- have you seen eclipse yet?

blueeyedfreckle said...

I remember your love for brittney. sorry for your loss:( and max is the cutest little chubber.

P.S. said...

When my doggie passed away you wrote me the nicest card and I saved it in my journal. You said that Fluffy would keep him company in Heaven. Now Wiley will keep Brittany company and they can play and run again.
I am so sorry Lori.