Tuesday, October 04, 2011

grandma jo.

My sweet Grandma Jo. died on Sunday night. I was able to be with her as she passed, and it was an experience I'll never forget. Her mind and spirit couldn't have been healthier, it was her poor little body that just couldn't keep up. Even on her death bed, she was planning the next party and looking forward to events coming up. Her voice was so distinct and could be heard from miles away. I will miss that little voice.... and her songs, her nicknames she had for us, and even her occasional mean eyes stare.

How cute is my Mom with her parents? There are about 500 pictures taken of us on this front lawn through out my life. And the wooden Johansen sign next to the front door is still hanging up.
My Grandparents have always been there for me. They have not missed a Birthday or Graduation and every holiday has been spent together. I was so sad to miss my Grandpa's passing and funeral a year and a half ago. He is truly the most Christ like person I know.
On the rare occasion my Grandma would miss The Young and the Restless, my Grandpa would watch for her, and even take notes.

She somehow talked me into going to the Price is Right with her.

Things she loved: my Grandpa, her children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren, food, describing food, parties, looking pretty in her long necklaces and clip-on earrings, The Young and the Restless, Heavenly Father, having a pretty yard, pies, her fruit trees, The Price is Right, curly hair, talking on the phone, and a clean house.

Things she didn't love: picky eaters, Democrats (too bad for Grandpa), and frosting.
Yellowstone, a million years ago. I love her arms around my neck.
I feel like I'll always be little to her.

I'm so happy that they are holding hands again up in heaven.

10 comments:

Paige said...

Lori...that post is so sweet. And are you kidding me?? that picture of your mom in the red pants is SO YOU! Seriously...twins. I love it. I love that Grandpa would take notes for her during Young and the Restless. That is love.

Amy Oswald said...

I'm so sorry! We loved your grandma Jo, I totally remember her! Hope your family is doing ok!

sarah marie. said...

where do i even begin with this post. my favorite ever. i feel so lucky to have known your gma jo. and gpa jo for that matter. i could hear her voice in my head when you wrote about it. and i love how in love they were. rolled about the young and the restless. slash i told brian so he could maybe take a few pointers. not sure if you ever told me about the price is right which would be weird since we worked with gina together. and that old picture in yellowstone is the best ever. i can't get over your dad. and is that your aunt cindy? because it looks EXACTLY like you. and so does your mom in the picture in front of the wooden johansen sign. i'll never forget your grandparents on halloween that year in their ghost costumes with sheets over their heads just sitting there together. i love you lor.

Holly and Dave said...

This post is perfect. I could read it over and over all day and have tears in my eyes while I laugh out loud. I can only hope to be the mother and grandmother she has been. Sweet memories of her will live on in my heart forever.

Janelle said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandma! i know how much you love her and how fun she was. i think that pic of your mom looks a lot like a blonde Holly! I never knew you were on Price is Right!! when was that little episode..? Looks like late 90's. it's so nice that we KNOW that families are forever and your grandparents are together. loves and hugs Lori to you and your family!

Sarah said...

I am so glad they are back together, just the way they should be. This is such a sweet tribute Lori, it couldn't have been better said.

The Hebbs said...

oh so sad, but happy too! you and your momma are twins!!! wow. cute. i just started blogging again since my life isnt in shambles...for the time being..I would love to catch up!

Lindsay said...

this is so sweet lori! what an adorable grandma! i'm so sorry she passed, i'm sure you will miss her so much. love the old photos!

The Powells said...

this post melts my heart....what a sweet lady. I love this generation so very much.

... said...

Oh Lors, I'm sorry to hear that your grandma passed. I wouldn't have called you earlier if I would have read this first. I am sure you are with your family right now. Anyways, I love your little tribute post, she seemed like a fun lady! I mean "The Price is Right!" LOL. I will be laughing and sort of a bit jealous for a while over that:) Take care. xox Marc