Sunday, December 03, 2006

Daddy O

These are a group of gnomes that sit on my parents center table in their living room. They aren't just any ordinary group of gnomes, they are special because they were carved my a special man. This man is my dad. He is one of the most talented men I know, and although many only know him for his talent of sawing bones, stiching wounds, and injecting joints he actually has a creative and artistic side that suprise most people. These were carved during his "carving phase" ----when he carved everything in site.
These guys are some of my favorite.

This was his display at the Festival of Trees this year. He prefers consturcting a weath, center piece and garland as opposed to a tree. I was able to go with him to Modern Display in early November and watch as he imagined these pieces in his mind. Gathering and filling his arms full of garlands, berries, candles, fruits and greenery. Not many (straight) men enjoy hours at a craft/decorating store... Even I, in the end,....began to become agitated and eager to leave.


Currently he is considering retiring from Orthopeadics and strickly focusing on gingerbread house constructing. I will keep you posted on the outcome. Hopefully some of his creativity has rubbed off on me over the past 28 years.

6 comments:

ali said...

SOME of his creativity? Come on, Lor, we all know what you're capable of creating, and all of us admire you. When your dad performed that perfectly-memorized, side-splitting melody at your wedding, I knew he was something special and I understood so much better why you have a such a wonderful personality and sense of humor--though it's all your own. I don't know anyone else whose dad has an entry in the Festival O'Trees. You must be very proud.

ali said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kim said...

WOW, I can't believe he carved those! I want one. And his entry is pretty amazing. I'm very impressed with his skills and I'll say the same thing Ali did . . .you are very very creative, remember all those times I've begged you to help me be more crafty?

sarah marie. said...

he's quite a guy. did gina go to the festival?

Lorilee said...

Yes, she said she went... "all day Saturday."

Anonymous said...

so what do you think dad's next "phase" of creative talent will be? map making? basket weaving? candle dipping? i wonder if he'll carve me a large gnome that i can put it my front yard...