Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Public Enemy #1

Well, I was hoping I wouldn't have to write this post so soon. I was thinking I wouldn't run into Public Enemy #1 until at least our 3rd year....possibly 4th. But unfortunately the sighting has come A LOT sooner, actually within our first month here. Not many people warned me about these, in fact only one....Emilee Walker (thanks Em, but you didn't give me good enough warning.....I was thinking it would be a big worm with lots of legs...boy, was I wrong). I had read about them in our book...."Hawaii: The Big Island Revealed." (Thanks again Liz), and here is exactly what Mr. Doughty wrote about them, “The worst are the centipedes. They can get to be six or more inches long and are aggressive predators. They shouldn’t be messed with. If you get stung, even by a baby, the pain can range from a bad bee sting to a bad gunshot wound. Some local doctors say the only cure is to stay drunk for three days. Others say to use meat tenderizers.” Either Hawaii's health care is very primitive or these monsters really mean business. So far, this book has been dead on about everything, so I was trying to do everything I could to prevent the run-in.
Monday afternoon when I was in the middle of a lovely ichat with my parents, Cody yelled for me to come out to yard where a bunch of chickens were making a commotion. Once they all scattered we saw what the commotion was all about. Believe it or not, the chickens were attempting to eat this....maybe the chickens aren't so bad after all?
These pictures won't do it justice.....just think of the scariest thing you can possibly think of,...and that's it. Its body and color reminds me of a scorpion, but worse.

(sorry I'm always comparing stuff to writing utensils, that's pretty much all we have right now)
I guess Cody didn't take the books' advice when it said "They shouldn't be messed with." He tied a piece of jute around it and brought it inside for my parents to see. (He said it was "mostly dead"...but still, in our house??)
I am scared to death of these SOB's. I've lost sleep, dreamt about them, and have even considered carrying a flash light with me to the bathroom in the middle of the night. I am even scared writing about them, I'm afraid it might jinx me or something, and they will all know I'm talking about them. I can promise you one thing, if I ever see one of these in my house I will move, if not back to Salt Lake, at least to a new house.

13 comments:

jamieanne said...

Oh geez. This made me laugh so so hard. I can only imagine the dramatics this little guy enticed. I'd flip out too. Grossity gross gross gross.

Anonymous said...

This post really made me laugh. I am sorry you have to deal with those little devils.. I would have nightmare's too. and that's hilarious that Cody tied string around it, like it was his pet! He should walk it around the yard like a little puppy.

ali said...

Oh Lori, I'm so sorry. Just seeing the photos is enough for me. One time I tried to kill one of these guys by lighting it ON FIRE and it STILL didn't die. I think we then proceeded to run it over with our 1980 Station Wagon. (Gotta love BYUH.)

But Allison's friendlier approach could prove a viable option.

Lacey Jane said...

Good luck with these icky creatures! This post gave me the bad chills... But, I know you'll come out victorious! (Whatever that means.)

Kim said...

That is disgusting. The pictures make me want to throw up. I think I would be feeling the same way as you, nightmares for sure. Allison's comment about walking it is pretty funny though!

tylah said...

Now is the time to break out the flamethrower!!!

Aimee said...

ICK! I promise Jason would pack up and move back to SLC. (He squeals like a little girl when he sees spiders). haha

Kristin said...

If you cut them in half...they multiply!!! I was dying when suddenly I was faced with not just one wrapped around my scriptures but then two running around like...well two millipedes with their heads cut off :)

Lindsey said...

I can't even comment on that - I'm probably the most bug-phobic person alive and I don't think I can sleep tonight.

sarah marie. said...

ok..come on. i am soo sorry lor. i feel your pain from the mice and cockroaches we had in ny. it gets easier though i promise. eww though..i can't even look at these pictures.

Misa S said...

Oh my nasty! I remember those guys from Japan. SICK! I am a big hater of bugs. cockroaches on the mish and then HUGE crickets in my basement apartment in DC. Good luck fighting these guys off!

lpettey said...

Wow. Those are some pretty big bugs you got there. I remember in florida the cockroaches. They were huge. I totally know what your going through. Love the house your living in. Miss ya tons!!!

Cami said...

Are these not the scariest things ever created?! Again your post was exactly what I've been saying, if I see one in the house we're moving! So far we've had 2, little guys but still, so creepy! I just sent an email out to my fam the other day with a picture of them. I don't think they are ever coming to visit now. I'm so glad we can share this fear of them, and yes, I've had dreams about them too.