today, I am thankful for these chickens.
it's been a hard past couple of weeks for these friends of mine.. the rain hasn't stopped and their feathers are soggy and cold. the roosters are mean and can fend for themselves just fine, but it's the mother and her baby chicks (front and center in the photo) that really touch my heart and make me think about life a little deeper. I say chicks with an 's' because there used to be many more, but the wet and chilly weather has left her with just one. we've tried to help her and the babies, even rescuing one that had become slow and lagging behind the crew, but after a cold night without his mother--despite our best efforts of a cardboard box and a soft blanket--he didn't make it. their little chirp right outside our window melts my heart, and every morning we discover one less.. it makes me so sad.
It makes me sad because I see how much their mom loves them and does everything in her power to protect them.. even if it means standing in between me (a big scary human) and her babies to keep me away from them. It makes me sad because they are already a few months old and have survived the hardest part of the beginning of life. It makes me sad because I have watched her already teach them to find food, keep away from danger and stay warm. It makes me sad when I see her have to leave one behind because she knows the rest won't survive if she doesn't. and I think it makes me sad because I am a mother too.

their main goal in life is to survive. all day long they find food. at night, they try to find a place to sleep that will be safe from the mean mongoose and warm from the chilly temps. what a simple life. but I guess I've learned from them that even if you have a simple life it can still be hard, that things can be thrown into your path--like unexpected weeks of rain--that will completely change everything. but watching how this chicken cares for and loves her family is the best part all.

I'm thankful I have this little friend who I get to stand outside with every morning in our pj's and feed the chickens.. even if one or two handfuls of chicken food usually ends up in her mouth. and although cody calls me the crazy chicken lady and I'm usually inside cooking up some sort of chicken something for dinner.. I will always have a little place in my heart for our brave mother hens.


7 comments:
you're so cute lor.
oh that is so sweet. i love that june gets to wake up and feed the chickens in her pj's.
Your love for animals and mommy animals is one of my favorite things about you.
Thanks for the reminder.
just about made me cry. i love that you love them so much.
what a good example that mama hen is.
Your poor little chickens, that is sooo sad! I cant stand to see little animals get hurt. June looks so cute in her PJs and socks.-- I put Presley in the same thing because its getting soo cold at night.
I think it's so tender how you & June feed the chickens every day! I just love all of the wildlife that's here in Hawaii!
how touching! there are so many things we can learn from the simple lives of animals. i'm so glad to see that june has inherited her mother's (and father's) love for all living creatures.
Post a Comment